Friday, May 06, 2011

San Miguel Island

Sunday, May 1st, I popped into my truck packed with rock cod gear and headed north. On my way, I picked up Jim Carlisle and Al Scow for our L A Rod & Reel Charter on the Pacific Dawn operating out of Ventura Sportfishing during the winter months. We arrived early to sign the manifest then we headed over to Andrea's for a fresh fish dinner (courtesy of Big Al). Thanks Al.

Captain Pat Cavanaugh brought the boat back to dock filled with rock fish - and he was excited that they were caught in shallow water. We boarded as soon as the boat was cleaned up and set up all our gear. We had a slight delay in departing due to a need to replace Man Dog as he had a serious hand infection requiring immediate attention. Get better soon Man Dog!! Whitney made a cameo appearance in the Galley before starting her summer on the American Angler. Opie also made a cameo. Regular deckhand, Jeremy, was assisted by Man Dog's replacement, Joe. Jim and I shared some wine then called it a night.

Monday morning found Jim, Al and me watching the sun come up as we idled close to San Miguel Island.

San MiguelIMG_0207IMG_0216IMG_0217

The weather was perfect - sunny and warm with a slight breeze. Pat decided to set us up in shallow water - as in less than 60 feet deep. Pat said "grab your bass gear guys and have fun!" I fished all day with leadheads and Gulp grubs. My first drop was a nice big Red! I had caught Mike's favorite fish to eat so my trip was already made!

We fished all day until we all had limits of rock fish which included a couple lings (Jim had one), reds, loads of big chuckleheads and Big Al had a nice Cabazon. I also picked up a big calico bass in the mix. Beautiful weather, calm seas and great fishing made for a perfect day on the water.

IMG_0219

Now it's time to pack up for the next trip - Big Al's 15-Day Charter on the Excel called Fisherman's Pals and Gals departing May 13th. Wish us luck.  Woo Hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home