Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kayak Tuesday 2-21-11

The predicted rain was avoided again and the Kayak Tuesday group launched their kayaks out of Dana Point in 41 degree weather under sunny skies. We peddled out of the harbor just before 8 am and split directions. Tim, Jack and I headed to the pipeline while the others fished closer inshore - not sure where as I couldn't see them.

Kayak Fishing 2.21.11

I decided to fish the dropper loop with dead squid (thanks Tim for the bait). I was using my Revo Inshore spooled with 20 lb. Spiderwire Ultra Cast  with a short dropper loop made with Berkley 20 lb. fluorocarbon and a 6/0 circle hook. I put the reel on a 6' Berkley Cherrywood Premium Graphite rod rated 10 - 25 lbs. I started fishing in 70 feet of water. Tim went out to deeper water and Jack was fishing in 64 feet of water. Jack started with a 1.5 ounce leadhead with squid pinned on it.

P2220011

Our water temperature was 59 degrees and we had a 4 to 5 knot off-shore breeze that felt like it was blowing off the snow capped mountains, however, the sun was bright with only the hint of clouds on the horizon. We were even able to see Catalina Island in the distance. There was a lot of life everywhere I looked - pelicans flying in formation, porpoise chasing bait schools and birds diving around the porpoise.

P2210009P2210002P2210004

It wasn't even 30 minutes before I heard Jack yell. I looked over in time to see him land a nice 19 inch calico. He barely dropped his bait back in the water and he was hooked up again. He called over to me and said to come on over. I started peddling his way and before I could get there, I was nailed by a nice sandbass. I released it and was quickly nailed again. I decided I might as well keep this one for a lunch. I rebaited and dropped back down and was nailed again. These sandbass were ravenous - but then again, we were fishing with squid.

sandbass

Jack kept hooking calicos and sandbass until he snagged something on the bottom and lost his leadhead. He switched to a 3/4 ounce leadhead and still hooked fish but it was a little slower as it took a little longer to reach the bottom. We were fishing in 64 to 67 feet of water at that point and the breeze was just right for a nice drift.

P2210003P2210005

Around 9:30 am I was drifting over what appeared to be a hard bottom area watching a blank screen on my fish finder when I got nailed and my line started to peel out. I knew this wasn't a bass so I kept my kayak pointed towards the fish so I could follow if necessary. Then there was the occasional head shake and dead weight on my line. After a couple minutes of reeling and line going back out, there was the broad flat body of a halibut coming to the surface. I grabbed my gaff and brought the fish close to the boat and gaffed him. Jack peddled over and helped me get him on the game clip before I removed the hook (love those circle hooks). Jack helped me measure my halibut - just over 28 inches. Nice! Then I let the game clip slip back in the water being sure it was securely fastened to my kayak.

P2210008P2210006

I rebaited and decided to call Mike. Just as I was telling him I caught dinner, I was bit again and told him I would call him back. My line was peeling off and I was trying to get my new iPhone into a waterproof pocket without dropping it. When I finally called Mike back, it was to tell him that it had been a small stingray on my line. It gave me a few minutes of fun until I had to cut it off to keep it from cutting the tether to my game clip.

I caught more sandbass, a cabazon and finally an 18 inch calico. Tim caught a couple nice calicos for his dinner (18 and 19 inches), plus sandbass and rockfish (released). One of the other guys caught a 24 inch halibut, another hooked a thresher shark but it busted off and Jack hooked into something that peeled off 200 yards of spectra before it busted off.

P2220015P2220016

We headed back to dock around 2 pm. We were thoroughly satisfied with our day of fishing. The weather was cool but sunny, the seas were calm, the fish were biting and it was all shared with good friends. It was a spectacular day on the water.

I carefully filleted the halibut giving half to Tim (as he did provide the bait) and cleaned the calico and a couple sandbass (Princess and Willie want fresh fish too) .  The day wasn’t over yet as the best was yet to come – dinner.  We had fish and chips (halibut coated in Panko Flakes and fried potatoes) accompanied by sautéed zucchini with parmesan.  It was a thoroughly wonderful day!

halibutpanko

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home