Wednesday, February 16, 2011

976-KayakJan 2-16-11

Tuesday's fishing group met at DP Kayak Center to set up gear and launch our kayaks. There were six of us this week even though rain was predicted for the day. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to get everything set up and in the water.

I store my kayak at the Kayak Center and store all my gear at home. Once I get my kayak off its rack, everything needs to be secured or tethered to the kayak (i.e. fish finder, install battery below deck, rod holders, bait tank, nets, gaff, paddle, peddles, seat, tackle, rods) then I get dressed (waterproof top, waders, PFD, jacket, hat, sunglasses, marine radio, Spot Satellite messenger, and camera) - whew! Then I slide the kayak in the water, install the peddles, lower the rudder, turn on the fish finder, zero out the trip calculator, start the bait tank then I climb in. I have to peddle around a couple minutes to prime the bait tank then I'm ready to go buy bait at the receiver.

Today was different as Tim Boyer had some live squid in his receiver that he shared with all of us. I peddled over to Tim's receiver and he put a scoop of squid in my tank. This was the first time I fished out of my kayak using live squid for bait. What a special treat this was.

P2140009

Candy Bait

It was around 8 am by the time we peddled out of the harbor. We passed two Customs and Immigration boats coming into the harbor. Curious - until I read the paper the next day and learned they apprehended 18 illegals on a boat 5 miles outside of the harbor.

I followed Tim out to the pipeline a couple miles off shore. It was cloudy and cool but the water was glassy calm and 59 degrees.

P2140002

We decided to fish deeper than last week. We started in 75 feet of water venturing out to 95 feet deep. I fished a dropper loop using 20# fluorocarbon with 2 ounces of lead and a Mustad 92677 3/0 hook.

Everything loves squid - even critters too small to swallow a whole squid. I pulled up lizard fish, baby octopus and small perch.

Kayak Fishing 21511P2140013

Finally I was slammed hard and brought up a 14 inch calico bass. Tim and Jack both caught calico bass that measured 18 inches but I was still happy with mine.

P2150015P2150018

We fished until 1:30 pm. By that time I had traveled 7 miles in 5 1/2 hours on the water. As I was cleaning up my gear, it began raining. By the time I finished cleaning up, the sun was out. I filleted my fish then called Mike to tell him we were having fresh Calico Bass for dinner!

Nice day on the water!

1 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Cool! looks like a fun day.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home