Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kayak Tuesday 3-29-11

Good weather with sun was predicted - finally. Unfortunately, the weather forecasters were wrong again. The sun tried to peek through the clouds but the clouds refused to let more than a few rays of the sun through and the wind breezed in around 10 am to chill the air. The water conditions were less than stellar as well - 59 degrees, dirty and green with the surface smooth then ruffling from the wind churning it into a moderate chop.

Morning fishing 3-29-11

OK, so the conditions weren't great, but I still enjoyed the day on the water. There are always interesting things to watch while fishing. The pelicans flew in formation a few feet above the surface of the water silently heading over the horizon. The seagulls chased each other straight up in the sky screeching and (well it is mating season). Small bait fish occasionally skipped across the surface of the water possibly being chased by something below the surface.

Porpoise lazily arched over the surface gradually moving along the coast. Not like previous weeks when they chased bait non-stop all day long. One sea lion swam around as if searching for his friends - coming right under my kayak at one point - unannounced - causing me to take a huge breath. I even had a bee hitchhike a ride for a while, resting his wings until a breeze carried him away.

Hitchhiking BeeBee on my Kayak

Fishing? Well that is just what it was for me - fishing. Nothing even on the meter except a few small fish along the bottom just out of the harbor in about 35 feet of water. I had plenty of small fish eating the bait off my 7/0 circle hook but nothing large enough to take the hook so I moved to deeper water and found a meter with nothing on it. Six kayakers fished frozen squid, plastics, live sardines and jigs. Tim had 6 small fish (using a 2/0 hook) - sand bass, calico and rockfish. Warren caught a small sting ray and Jack had a sand bass. Nothing big enough to keep.

Kayaking 3-29-11Kayak Fishing Location 3-29-11

We returned to harbor early - just four and a half hours on the water traveling six and a half miles this Tuesday.

Returning to Harbor

After cleaning up my kayak, I had Tim do a kayak upgrade - adding a larger rudder and turbo fins on my peddles. I also signed up for Tim's Kayak Mothership Charter departing April 15th on the Islander fishing San Clemente Island. Can't wait for that trip. If you are adventuresome enough, join me! There are still a couple spots available. Give Tim a call at (949) 661-4947.

Islander Trip0001

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home