Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Kayak Tuesday 3-1-11

Arriving at the harbor, I noticed the porpoise and birds were working an area of bait and it was only 7 am. I thought this was a sign of good things to come.

Warren was already there when I arrived and Wayne showed up shortly after, followed by Tim, Jack and William. We set up and launched the kayaks and headed out of the harbor. The water was a cool 57 degrees and an onshore breeze was blowing over it providing a chill to the air. The sun was out but clouds were racing to provide a filter to the sun's warmth. I looked down into the water and saw a muddy green color. This wasn't going to be like last week!

We fished the pipeline again.  I fished close to Jack for most the day as he had forgotten his gaff and was sure he would need mine.  At one point, the clouds parted and the wind ceased and we were surrounded by porpoise chasing bait.  Unfortunately, it only lasted about 15 minutes and that was the best part of the day. Jack and I were not getting bit but we kept at it.

PipelinePorpoise

Porpoise Pushing Bait

Tim seemed to do well as he caught 6 sandbass two of them on the way out to very deep water. He also caught a couple sand dabs. William fished in shallower water and said he caught all five of his fish first thing in the morning. I don't know how the others fared as I came in early - around 1 pm.

Saddleback

I fished the same set up as last week, dropper loop with dead squid but only caught a couple short sandbass for the entire day. I caught those on the way back to the harbor in 30 feet of water. I guess the fish were in shallow. At least I got my exercise - 7.6 miles of peddling.

Wildlife

Next week is Fred Hall Tackle Show in Long Beach (March 9 to 13) so no Kayak Tuesday until after the show.  Hope to see you all there.  Look for me in the Berkley Booth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home