Friday, July 15, 2011

Kayak Tuesday 7-12-11

Rumors of 50 pound white seabass being caught on kayaks fishing outside Dana Point Harbor creates in me an uncontrollable urge to go fishing. Jack, Wayne and I met at the harbor, launched our kayaks and peddled out of the harbor around 7 am on Tuesday. Along the way out, Wayne confirmed that a 45 pound white seabass had been caught on a kayak fishing next to him last week.

Overcast skies, 10 to 12 knot winds, and choppy 67 degree seas greeted us as we left the protection of the harbor. Current was running northeast at a quick clip.

Our first stop was to make some mackerel for bait. I caught a couple mackerel and a couple sardines and put them in my bait tank. Jack headed out to the pipeline. I looked for an area of bait and 60 feet of water. I pinned on a beautiful, lively mackerel and trolled him around looking for bait balls and the elusive seabass.

Bait balls were difficult to find until around 10 am, when the sun peeked out of the clouds, and then the bait just showed up. By that time, Wayne was on his way to join Jack at the pipeline to fish for calicos and sandbass. I continued to fish for the seabass around the headlands. I trolled that same little mackerel for 5 hours and covered 9.5 miles and my bait was still swimming with gusto! Other than bait, I caught nothing so I called it a day around noon.

Kayak 7.12.11DSCF0112DSCF0114

When Wayne and Jack returned, Jack had a nice sandbass and Wayne said he had released a couple short calicos. Just another day of “Fishing.”  Looking forward to getting back to catching fish one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home