Thursday, September 29, 2016

Fun on the Kayak

I met up with Jack and Wayne at 7:30 Tuesday morning to launch our kayaks.   Wayne and Jack headed out first while I finished setting up my gear.  My rudder wouldn't stay down and my bait tank tube wouldn't connect.  I had decided to head back home when Jack came and helped with the rudder and said we would just share bait from his tank so we headed out. 




What a gorgeous day on the water.  A light cloud cover and slight breeze kept us from feeling the full force of the 95 degree day.  We headed out of the harbor while I trolled a plastic jig.  I caught a nice calico before we even made it to our destination.  We headed a mile or so out then I grabbed a sardine from Jack.  We were fishing halibut set ups on 25 pound line.  As soon as I hit the bottom, I was slammed by a big sand bass which I released.  Back to Jack for another sardine.




Jack hooked into a big halibut but after a minute or two, he just got back the sardine head.  Apparently it was never hooked.  Then it was my turn and I brought in a 24 inch halibut, also released. 





High tide was at 8 a.m. and low tide at 1:35 p.m. with a 4 foot swing.  Around 10:30 the bite dropped off but picked up again around 11:30 and Wayne caught a 33 inch halibut.  Next I hooked something big which felt like a halibut.  After a couple minutes I brought back shredded fluoro and no hook.  The halibut must have swallowed the sardine.  I caught another sand bass then Jack and I decided to head in.  I radioed Wayne to tell him but he didn't respond.  We were almost in to the harbor when Wayne caught up to us and asked me to take a photo of his 38 inch halibut.  Wow!  Wayne was on fire.







Can't wait to go again next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home