Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Kayaking 9/7/16

I got to the harbor at 6:30 a.m. so I could take my time setting up my kayak.  Wayne arrived shortly after just as I was connecting my fish finder.  That was when I noticed my battery was bulging on the side and not longer produced power.  I texted Jack to see if he had a spare but he didn't.  Nor did Wayne.  Luckily Tim arrived at 7:30 a.m. and I borrowed one from him.

A quick stop by the bait receiver then out of the harbor.  We split the tank of bait between the three of us.  Unfortunately the bait was not the quality we had last week. 

The weather was cool with cloud cover.  The water was 70.4 degrees and glassy calm.  We hit the pipe first and got slammed by the bonito.  I also caught a legal sandbass which I released.  


We decided to try the barber poles before the bonito got all our sardines.  

On the way out, we ran into a school of mackerel.  Wayne loaded up and shared them with Jack and me.



The sun out at 10:15 and it was quite warm for about 30 minutes which is when the wind came up.  Fishing was good as we could set up for a nice long drift.  I fished 20# with a 2 ounce slider.  I hooked into a legal halibut (about 2 inches) that a sea lion decided to chase around my kayak.  I ended up releasing it rather than tangle with the sea lion trying to take it off my game clip.

The fish finder battery went out at 11:30 a.m. and the seas were getting quite rough so I headed in and called it a day. 


It was a good day on the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home