Monday, September 14, 2015

Fishing With Friends!


Every month Tim Boyer, owner of Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak Center, holds a kayak fishing tournament called Fishing with Friends.  I've had a cooking class the last 6 months so Saturday, September 12th was the first chance I've had to join the group. 

I arrived around 6:15 a.m. and there were already several people there setting up their kayaks.  I managed to get my kayak rigged and launched by 7 a.m. which gave me time to trouble shoot my bait tank problem.  The tank wouldn't fill again.  It just needed a longer intake tube to reach the water.  I guess the new kayak is just enough different that the shorter tube wouldn't work.  Now it works fine.


Jack arrived around 7 and we got in line for bait.  Only a 30 minute wait.  Unfortunately they only had anchovies.  Tim had skipped the receiver and was out making mackerel.  Thank heaven because he gave me several mackerel which lasted me all day.



The water was so calm that I could see all the kayakers no matter where they were.  The sun was behind the clouds most the day but it was quite warm anyway - in the 90's and no hint of wind.  The water temperature was 77.5 degrees.  That's the warmest I've ever seen it. 

There were 14 kayakers in the tournament.  Most of us fished the pipeline first then moved out to the barber poles. I caught a couple bonita and chased away the cormorants but failed to pick up a real fish.  At one point I saw the birds all fired up a mile away.  I peddled hard to reach them before they moved on.  What a disappointment when I arrived and found a sea lion thrashing a yellowtail with the birds picking up the scraps.



We had a strong northerly current so then I found myself pretty far north of the rest the kayakers which were still at the second barber pole.


Just then Tim radioed that the hammerhead had shown up.  He and Jack went back to the pipeline to fish.  Since I hadn't seen any bait or action by noon and I had traveled 10 miles already, I decided to go in early.  On the way back, I felt water down my back and checked the bait tank.  The anchovies had clogged the outtake tube and the tank was overflowing. I unclogged it and dumped the rest the bait.  Just as I reached dock, Tim radioed that he hooked into something that was really pulling.  Turns out it was a 10.8 pound yellowtail that took JP. 


I cleaned up my kayak and put my gear away then pulled out my pot luck contribution - smoked salmon and smoked albacore with crackers.  Jackson was busy at the BBQ grilling bacon/shrimp kabobs, ribs, and yellowtail.  There were cupcakes, potato salad, cut up fruit, etc. and drinks including beer. 

Everyone was off the water and ready to eat by 2 p.m.  Tim said JP would roll over to next month as he couldn't win his own tournament.  Charlie took second JP with a bass.  There were only 3 or 4 fish (besides bonita) caught all day. 


What a great group of people.  There were two other women fishing on their kayaks too - Melissa and Shelby.  Shelby had her tiny dog, Jackson, on her kayak fishing with her.  Very cute little dog.  She said he likes to jump in the water and bite the tail of her fish when she brings it in.  I think she should reconsider that since Mr. Hammerhead is hanging out here this year. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home