Sunday, June 17, 2012

Islander & Kayaks

Friday afternoon 22 fishermen converged on Fishermen's Landing in San Diego littering the dock with Kayaks, bait tanks, fish finders, batteries, tackle, nets and gaffs. All this for a day and a half trip to San Clemente Island aboard the Islander.

Our Chartermaster, Tim Boyer, who owns Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak Center (DPJSKC), and Jack Voss arrived at the landing shortly after Jim and me. Jim picked me and my gear up on his way to the landing.  (Thanks Jim).  Tim was supposed to bring my kayak with his and Jack’s but he had another angler (Dan) bring my kayak instead. Dan arrived before Tim and Jim's eagle eyes spotted my kayak on Dan’s truck as soon as we arrived which spoiled Tim's plan to tell me he forgot my kayak.  Thanks again Jim for sparing me the anxiety until Tim fessed up to the joke.

Captain John Coniff and crew loaded all our kayaks on the boat and strapped them down. How they managed to do it is beyond me especially since there were 7 Hobie Pro Angler kayaks (the largest Hobie kayak that is more like a small boat). Actually, our trip was the last trip that the Pro Angler kayak's will be allowed on the Islander as they take up too much room and are too heavy for the crew to launch.

Once we got all our gear on board, a few of us walked down to Mitch's Seafood at Pt. Loma for dinner. Jim and I had the white seabass tacos which were delicious and Tim had the Fisherman's Stew which Tim said was great too.

Once we were all back on board and settled in, we headed to the bait receiver. While at the receiver, Captain Coniff gave the safety speech and informed us that San Clemente Island will be open and we would be sitting in Pyramid Cove at daybreak Saturday morning. Weather was predicted to be completely calm.

SCISD

The engines turned down around 4:30 in the morning but John waited until closer to 6 to anchor up.

SCI3SCI1

As folks finished breakfast, I started setting up my kayak. I made it in the water about 6:50 am. I peddled around the boat until my bait tank was primed then slid back up to the boat for some fresh bait - live sardines.

DSCF1095DSCF1096

I headed south towards the kelp and fished for Calicos. I caught at least 6 big ones that I had to drag out of the kelp. They were fun. Jim showed up a little after me and he caught a variety of fish using squid. While we were catching calicos, Jack was catching halibut. He caught two and released the smaller of the two. His keeper ended up taking jackpot even though it wasn't the largest fish on board.

We got the call for lunch at noon so I headed back to the boat. Lunch was burgers (which I don't eat) so I just had the burger fillings (mushrooms, cheese, lettuce and tomato). The seas were calm but the weather was cool so several of us put extra clothes on before going back on our kayaks after lunch.

DSCF1101DSCF1103

While we were fishing in the cove, the military set off several explosions which frightened us and left big tufts of smoke above the Island.  I guess when the Island is open that doesn’t mean they won’t be setting off explosives.

DSCF1104DSCF1109JanYakSC

John moved the boat up the island about a mile down current so we fished our way to the boat. I tried fishing for halibut for the afternoon but without luck. Around 4 pm the cable on my peddles snapped. Fortunately I was close to the boat so I called it a day. I put my gear away then showered and had a bowl of chowder and a beer until the rest were back on board.

SCI2

As we were chatting and waiting for dinner, one of the other passengers caught a yellowtail. Although it was the largest fish of the trip, it wasn't caught on a kayak so it didn't qualify for jackpot. There was also a halibut that was larger than Jack's halibut, however, the angler wasn't in the jackpot.

DSCF1106DSCF1108

Rick and Adam were our chefs on the trip and the food was great as always. The chowder was spectacular and the ribs for dinner were delicious and so tender they fell apart. I don't know if it was the wine with dinner or the 9 hours on the water, but we all were tired and hit the bunk by 8:30 pm. The channel crossing was smooth and flat calm which is why I didn't awake until 3:30 Sunday morning.

We got back to Fisherman's Landing at 7 am Sunday morning. The crew unloaded the kayaks and we unloaded our gear. We stowed our gear in the cars and headed home. Jim dropped me off at home then I headed back to DPJSKC to wash down my kayak and lock it up. Dan had already unloaded it for me. Thanks Dan. Jack and Tim got back to the center before I left and Jack insisted I take some of his halibut. Now I can make Mike delicious fresh halibut for his Father's Day dinner. Thanks again Jack.

It was such a delightful trip. The crew was superb - friendly and very helpful. The anglers were mellow and just plain fun. I can't wait until next year's trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home