Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Irvine Lake

Jim Carlisle and I made a quick excursion last Friday to Irvine Lake for a little trout fishing. We asked around about what had been working during the week. We were advised to either troll a flicker shad in Fire Tiger or Black and Silver, or, if everyone is stopped in one place, stop and fish bait. As for bait - Gulp Trout Bait in Rainbow Color on 4# fluorocarbon with a #16 hook was recommended.

 

We got to the Lake just as the gates were opening at 6 a.m. We drove across the road between the kids pond and the main lake then parked close to a boat ramp. We lifted our kayaks off the top of our vehicles, loaded them with gear and launched in ankle deep mud - Yuk! I'm used to sliding my kayak off a floating dock in Dana Point Harbor. Jim says I'm spoiled. I don't see anything wrong with that?

DSCF1017DSCF1018

 

We trolled the west side of the lake all the way to the damn and back. Not a nibble. We noticed a group of boats stopped in one area so we stopped and dropped our bait rigs in. Jim was bit first then I got bit. We got a couple of small rainbow trout. Everyone around us had nice stringers of fish. One guy was on his cell phone bragging about already having 7 fish just as he got bit again.

DSCF1021JanKayak

After another 45 minutes without a bite, we started trolling again looking for another spot. We split directions and I went towards the damn and Jim headed the opposite direction still along the West shore. I got nothing! I headed back to find Jim and he was hooked up working on another fish right where we caught the first fish. I put one bait rod in and tried casting a jig with another. I got a bite on the jig but it dropped off. That was it for me. Jim caught a couple more fish on bait for a total of 4 for the day.

DSCF1022DSCF1025

We peddled around by the damn then along the east side of the lake before calling it a day at 1 p.m. We loaded our kayaks back on our vehicles and left. I dropped my kayak back at Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak Center where I store it before heading home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home