Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hoop Netting in San Diego Bay

I met Jason at Fisherman's Landing at noon yesterday to prepare our gear for Lobster Fishing. We transferred my hoop nets and tackle to Jason's skiff then drove over to Shelter Island to launch his boat. Once the boat was in the water, we locked up our vehicles, jumped back in the boat and headed to the bait receiver. We got a half scoop of sardines for $25. We didn't know it at the time but it was barely enough bait for 5 nets and we had 10 nets.

Jason drove the boat back to Fisherman's Landing so we could finish getting our gear ready. After we set all the hoops on the dock, Jason repaired any torn spots in nets and I baited all the bait cages. When we realized we were short on bait, we began begging - hoping someone had some bait available. A crew member from the Condor gave us some frozen salmon heads and John Coniff (owner/Captain of the Islander) saved us a trip back to the bait receiver by giving us a smelly bucket of sardines and mackerel.  Thanks John!

DSCF0922

Once our hoops were all baited up, we loaded them on the boat and took off to get our hoops set before dark. Branden and Jake Hensley (Excel crew members and friends) joined us. We set out our hoops in 40 feet of water around 5 p.m. and waited for dark. We had my four Ambush Nets (first time I've used them) and Jason's four flat hoop nets and two Eclipse nets.

We were at the beginning of the incoming tide which was due to peak at 4 feet around 10:37 p.m. We planned to pull nets every 30 minutes until midnight. To kill time between pulls, we did a little fishing, a little eating and a little beer drinking. I brought some tuna sandwiches (made with homemade bread and my canned tuna), chips, beer and homemade breakfast cookies so we could stay on the water and not need to head in for a food fix.

I made the first pull just after dark. Nothing! We waited another 30 minutes and Jake made the second pull and this was his first hoop netting adventure. He was rewarded with 5 barely short lobsters. It was a start. Branden made the next pull and got our first legal lobster. We were on the board. Jason did the next pull and nailed a couple more legals. I was back up and nailed 3 legals on my second pull. By midnight we had made 8 pulls, 3 each for Jake and me, 1 pull for Jason and Brandon and we captured a total of 8 legal lobsters. We all had the thrill of capturing at least one legal lobster and we also caught and released around 30 short lobsters, a guitar fish, a huge stone crab, several octopus, a stingray and small crabs lurking in our nets. I even had a tug a war with a sea lion when pulling one of my nets.

J Bugsbugs2

When we made our last pull at midnight, we emptied the bait cages and rolled up the ropes and headed back to the launch ramp. Jason, Brandon and Jake pulled the boat out of the water onto the trailer. I loaded my gear back in my vehicle then we all headed home. I drove into my driveway at 2:30 a.m. and was surprised when Mike met met at the door. He just said "it's about time!" Guess he woke up and got worried - even though he knew we were fishing at least until midnight and perhaps later.  I unloaded most the gear then hit the sack.  Clean up could wait.

DSCF0925bugs

It was a fun trip and we have a lobster dinner to look forward to. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home