Sunday, October 19, 2008

976-KayakJan October 18th

I arrived at Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak Center around 6 a.m. It was still completely dark. I unlocked the gate and took my kayak off its rack and rolled it next to my truck to load my gear. The sky was getting lighter as I pushed my kayak off the ramp into the harbor. Roland, Frank and Andy were launching at the harbor’s launch ramp directly across from me. I heard Frank’s laugh before I caught site of him. For several years now Roland, Frank and I have enjoyed fishing together on the Spring Braid 8-Day on the Excel. Roland and Frank fish together frequently but this was the first time I was invited to kayak fish with them (even though I’m sure I’d suggested joining them previously.)

The guys had decided to fish plastics instead of bait so I decided to do the same. Just as well since there were several boats lined up for bait as we passed by the receiver on our way out of the harbor. Roland had the Mercedes kayak of the group as his kayak was powered with a trolling motor. Frank and Andy were paddle powered and I was peddle powered with my Hobie Sport Fish (which was quickly named the Mini-Cooper because of its small size - 9 feet total length).

The sun was just coming up over the hills as we passed around the point of the breakwater.




I tuned in Let’s Talk Hook-Up on my wind-up radio and peddled away. I was just happy to be back out on the water and I was enjoying the reasonably calm seas and comfortable weather. I had been grumpy of late since I had to miss the Braid 10-Day trip on the Excel this year and our efforts to get out kayak fishing last weekend had been foiled by strong winds. Having such beautiful weather to start the day was a blessing for me (and for Mike since he’s had to listen to my grumbling).


Roland in his Kayak


Frank in his Kayak

Andy and Frank seemed to be catching fish right away. I was just enjoying my time on the water when I noticed I was the only one not catching fish. I figured I better try something different so I switched from my Torium 12 with 15# to my Shimano spinning reel with 8# mono. I was using a red ½ oz. leadhead and considered changing it but decided to fish it a while longer so I just switched to lighter line. I cast out my jerk shad and let it hit bottom before cranking 3 times then letting it fall again and repeating the action until it reached the surface. Fish usually hit on the drop with these jerk shad. I caught a couple small calicos and a nice sandbass then I got slammed right on the surface. This fish spun me around several times and I wasn’t gaining any line. Every time I wound a couple cranks the fish took off straight down again. On 8# test, I was sure this fish would break free but I was enjoying the fight. Then I noticed the fish was fighting like a tuna.

Andy came closer and asked what I had. I said I thought it was a bonito by the way it was fighting but Andy suggested “barracuda.” We were so close to the breakwater that I thought a bonito was unlikely too but it was acting like a tuna. Since it was acting like a tuna, I decided to fight it as if it were a tuna. I pinched the line against the rod to lift (since the drags were too weak to help), then wound down when I let up. This worked like a charm and soon my bonito was on the surface and I bagged him. This fish is going to be lobster bait for my other kayak buddy, Tim, who goes hoop netting for lobster from his kayak.




We fished all along the breakwater on our way out to the headlands. Surprisingly we were all fishing the Berkley Gulp Jerk Shad but in different colors or flavors. Roland was fishing the Copper Penny Jerk Shad and doing quite well with it. I think Frank and Andy (Frank’s son) were fishing the Sardine Jerk Shad and I fished both the Smelt and Nuclear Chicken Jerk Shad.


That's a Berkley Gulp Jerk Shad hanging in the top of the photo.

The seas were so calm that we fished in close to the boiler rock in the middle of the kelp beds between the beach and the Red Buoy. This was the first time I was able to fish close to the boiler rock. I noticed the kelp had thinned considerably since spring when it was so thick on the surface it was impossible to peddle into it.


The Boiler Rock with lobster traps all around it - buoys mark the traps.

Andy and Roland seemed on fire. Every time I looked up they were releasing fish. Frank was catching fish too and I’m sure Frank would have kept up with Roland and Andy if he hadn’t stopped frequently to light his cigarettes. Frank – hopefully someday you’ll quit smoking. We want to keep you around as long a possible plus you’ll be healthier. If my two sons, and niece could quit smoking this year (congratulations Rick, Chris and Michelle) so can you Frank.



There were plenty of short calicos to go around and some large sandbass caught by everyone as well but Roland had the biggest calico of the day. A real beauty of a calico too that he pulled right off the rocks fishing tight to the breakwater. A quick photo and Roland put him back in the water.


Roland's Big Calico

I didn’t catch as many fish as the rest of the group but I had the variety pack which included small calicos, a couple nice sandbass, a bonito, small mackerel, a mystery fish (probably a silversides of some type) and a nice sculpin just as we were returning to the harbor. I released everything except the lobster bait.



It was a perfect day on the water. It had everything – beautiful weather, calm seas, biting fish, and good friends with which to share the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home