Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Skunked!!!

I can call it paying my dues, not adapting to the conditions or slow fishing but they all mean the same thing – I was skunked. The Los Angeles Rod and Reel Club 1.5 day charter on the Pacific Dawn returned Monday morning (8-25) with 16 passengers and 18 fish for the trip none of which were mine.

We fished WSW 60 miles from Point Loma along with the long range and overnight fleet. The previous two days had good fishing for 12 to 25 lb. albacore, 25 lb. yellowfin tuna and small dorado and yellowtail. That all changed. We picked up a dozen 5 to 7 lb. albacore (appropriately dubbed Albaguppies). Most of these were troll fish caught on small feathers. About 4 fish were caught on bait using 20 lb. line and a sinker. We had a couple albacore that could be called real fish that weighed in over 20 lbs. John Ballotti was the hot stick with an albacore and two yellowfin tuna. Jim Carlisle caught one albaguppy and Tom Carlisle caught two.

Fishing Area.

Mad Dog looking for fish.

Trolling and trolling and trolling - 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I chose to troll with a Little Speedy looking for the bigger fish and didn’t switch to the smaller feathers. That’s called “not adapting.” We were one of the high boats with 18 fish whereas the Pacific Queen only had 3 fish for 40 anglers. That’s called “slow fishing.” I could say that I was paying my dues for the good fishing I’ve had this year but that’s just an excuse. I got skunked because that is fishing. I didn’t adapt, I was fishing poorly, and my timing and luck was off. It is also why I prefer to go on trips of at least 5 days. It gives the Captain time to find the biting fish and me time to adapt.

I didn’t go home without catching anything though – I caught a case of the Hives. By the time I got medication from the doctor Monday morning, it had spread all over my body including my head. The itching was horrible. Unfortunately the medication wasn’t aggressive enough to stop the allergic reaction and by the time I got to the ER Monday evening my upper lip had swollen to 10 times its’ normal size. An IV of Prednisone, Benadryl, Famotadine and saline solution halted the spread and swelling. The worst part is that we cannot determine the cause!

Normally I travel with Benadryl and an inhaler but not on overnight trips. That will change now. I also purchased Medjet Assist insurance. It provides flights from anywhere in the world back to my home hospital in a medical emergency. It only costs $350 per year for my husband and me. Check it out. http://www.medjetassist.com/ It’s reasonable if you ever need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home