A River of Bluefin Tuna!
Date: June 15 to 17, 2026
Anglers: Jeff Chuang, Steve Chuang, Jim Carlisle, Cathy Needleman, Fumio Ogoshi, and Jan Howard
Boat and Crew: Rail Time owned and operated by Gary Adams with second Captain Eric
Trip: Two day trip fishing Catalina and San Clemente Islands and offshore
Catch: 8 yellowtail, 9 bluefin tuna, 1 yellowfin tuna. Fish released included triggerfish, opaleye, calico bass and a bat ray
Trip Details: We departed Peter’s Landing around 5:30 pm Wednesday evening and headed straight to Nacho’s Bait Barge to load up on big, lively squid. From there, we expected to head towards Catalina for flyers then the bluefin grounds. Unfortunately, Gary said the wind came up and the fish moved so now we are heading to San Nickolas Island where some small seabass and yellowtail had been caught recently.
We set up our tackle then celebrated Sheepie’s Birthday with a spectacularly adorned cake honoring Sheepies expertise in catching sheepshead. We enjoyed a pizza dinner then I climbed in my bunk. I went to sleep expecting to awake in the morning at San Nickolas Island. Instead, I awoke at midnight at San Clemente Island with bright squid boat lights in my eyes and Fumio yelling, “Jan, you’re bit!” I ran barefoot onto the back deck and grabbed my rod and was lucky to land a nice yellowtail. Jeff also hooked and landed a big yellowtail before they quit biting. It was a nice wake up call although a bit early.
While waiting for the fish to bite, we were treated to millions of stars in a clear sky with warm air surrounding us like a blanket. The ocean was alive with squid, and bait of all kinds. We frequently see unusual fish in the waters around the boat at night too. This trip it was this transparent Twin Tail Salp or per Wikipedia a "Thetys Vagina".
Fumio stayed up watching and rebating the rods while the rest of us went back to sleep.
Around 4 am I heard a commotion and raced to the back
deck to find Fumio holding my rod and shaking his head. When I asked what happened, he explained that
Cathy’s rod on the bow got bit and the fish broke the butt end of her rod off
sending the rest of her rod and reel overboard.
Then Fumio grabbed my rod, which was moving strangely, and reeled up my line and the
other part of Cathy’s rod with her reel on it came up too.
That was the beginning of the bite and the onslaught of
boats crowding around to get in on the bite.
Jim, Cathy, Fumio and I each landed a yellowtail and Steve fought two
fish but he was still practicing the release skills he honed on the Endeavor.
Gary started the engines and we moved cove to cove looking for more biting fish. By mid morning, Gary said it was time to continue our journey to San Nicolas Island. We all had lunch and settled in our bunks for a nap. We barely settled in when Eric came down and said, “Set up your 30# outfits with a small hook! We’re going bluefin fishing.”
The weather was calmer and warmer offshore than it had been around the island which made it enjoyable searching for fish. Gary lectured us that we would not catch a fish if we tried to fish line heavier than 30# so I put away my 50# outfit.
Gary would have us bait up our hooks and stand ready to drop back right after Eric chummed the area and Gary pulled the engines out of gear. I think Jeff hooked up first and I wasn’t far behind. Jeff landed a nice bluefin around 40 to 50 pounds. Mine was a nice 25 to 30 pounder. We repeated the process until the fish quit biting. Gary kept saying the meter showed a river of fish and he couldn’t understand why they quit biting. We didn’t complain though because we had caught our share. Jeff and I caught 3 bluefin each, Jim caught 2, Steve 1 and Cathy caught a yellowfin tuna.
| A River of Bluefin |
Gary headed back to Catalina where Fumio proceeded to catch a couple big triggerfish (evidence of El Nino), an opal eye and another yellowtail. I got to release a nice bat ray before Gary called it a trip.
Eric fileted our fish and Jeff, Steve and I bagged filets
as we travelled back to the landing concluding another spectacular trip aboard
the Rail Time. I don’t know how Gary
does it but he manages to put together great trips just about every time he
takes us out. And much thanks to Eric
for his help and professional filet work providing us with beautiful filets to
take home.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home