Monday, May 27, 2019

Rockfishing on the Dawn


Jim Carlisle and I arrived at Ventura Sportfishing Landing May 23rd the same time our Captaiin, Mandawg arrived.  He told us we could board as soon as he returned from getting fuel.   I invited Mandawg to join us for dinner at the restaurant next door.  After fueling the Pacific Dawn, he joined us.  We finished dinner and joined the rest the passengers on the boat.  We departed around 9 pm.  The plan was to search for squid first and try for seabass.

I awoke around 4 Friday morning and crew were taking scoops of squid from Tucker on the Endeavor.  Then the squid went into a full on float so crew loaded the tanks with live squid. As soon as the tanks were full, we started fishing. 



I hooked one seabass and got cut off by other passengers.  There were 10 seabass and 8 yellowtail caught but Jim and I sucked big time.  Thankfully, we went rockfishing.

By days' end, I had 6 reds and 4 rockfish; Jim had 8 reds and 2 rockfish.  The better part of the trip was the weather - perfect even though a little cool.   This was a LARRC charter so it was nice fishing with club members. 











We got back to dock at 7:30 Friday night on Memorial Day weekend.  Surprisingly the traffic was not bad so I got home by 10:30 PM.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home